1. Should religious works, like the Messiah, be performed in theatres and should secular works - a play by a modern writer for example - be performed in churches or other places of worship?
2. Why do you think the Messiah has remained so popular?
3. Listen to the chorus For Unto Us a Child is Born. How well do you think the music fits the words?
4. If you were planning a festival of religious music, to be held at your local place of worship or in a local concert hall, what pieces would you choose? Would you have a different programme in one venue from that you would plan for the other? Why?
5. Would you expect a composer to write an oratorio today? Give reasons for your views.